Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI TD248 (G-OXVI) | Spitfire Ltd
- STATUS: Airworthy
- LOCATION: Duxford
- OWNER: Spitfire Ltd
- ROLE: Fighter
- BUILT: 1945
- LENGTH: 9.95 m/32 ft 8 in
- WINGSPAN: 11.23 m/36 ft 10 in
- ENGINE: Rolls-Royce Packard Merlin
- MAXIMUM SPEED: 446mph
- RANGE: 740 km/460 miles
- ARMAMENT: 2 × 20 mm Hispano II cannon; 120 rpg, 2 × 0.50 in Browning M2 machine guns; 250 rpg
Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI TD248 was built by Vickers Armstrong at Castle Bromwich in 1944 and released to service on 11th May 1945. Prepared for service with 695 Squadron based at Bircham Newton in Norfolk she was withdrawn from service in 1947 following damage. After repair she returned to service in 1948 transferring to No.2 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit at Little Snoring, Norfolk for uses in calibration flights and target towing. Supermarine Spitfire TD248‘s active service life came to an end in 1953 and was issued to 610 Squadron for static display at Hooton Park Chesire in 1955.
In 1988 she was acquired by Historic Flying Ltd where she underwent restoration before returning to flight in 1992.
Today Supermarine Spitfire TD248 wears the colour scheme of No. 74 Squadron 2nd Tactical Air Force 1945 and is operated by Spitfires Ltd and maintained by the Aircraft Restoration Company at IWM Duxford.