The Avro Shackleton was a British long range maritime patrol and anti submarine aircraft which could also be used for Search and Rescue. Introduced into service in 1951, it was developed by British manufacturer A.V Roe from the Avro Lincoln bomber, itself being a development of the famous wartime Avro Lancaster bomber. It was also designed by the same Head Designer Roy Chadwick.
Initially used by the RAF is also entered into service with the South African Air Force (SAAF) in 1957, its four Rolls-Royce Griffin engines turned 13ft contra-rotating propellers, the distinctive sound of which gained it the nickname “Growler”.
Avro Shackleton WR693 was first flown in March 1954 and passed through a number of squadrons including 224, 210, 38 and 205 sqn. In June 1971 she was converted to AEW.2 specification with AEW radar installation and allocation to 8 Sqn the following year whilst acquiring the name ‘Ermintrude’. In July 1991 she was sold at auction to a private buyer and delivered to Coventry Airport having clocked up 15,483 hours flown.